Saint Joseph Church and Shrine (added 2007 – – #07000382)
8742 US-12, Cambridge Township
The historic St. Joseph Shrine Catholic Church was built in 1863. The Irish immigrants named the surrounding 1 1/2 square miles area the Irish Hills because it reminded them of the rolling hills and crystal lakes of Ireland. The Shrine’s Trabajo Rustico-styled Stations of the Cross were created by noted cement artist, Ralph Corona, in the 1930’s.
A memorial to the early Irish immigrants, called, An Gorta Mór is located on the grounds of St. Joseph Shrine. St. Joseph Shrine Catholic Church is also on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Event
- Architect, builder, or engineer: Waire, V.J. & Co.
- Architectural Style: Other, Mission/Spanish Revival
- Area of Significance: Architecture, Art, Hispanic
- Period of Significance: 1950-1974, 1925-1949, 1900-1924, 1875-1899, 1850-1874
- Owner: Private
- Historic Function: Funerary, Religion
- Historic Sub-function: Cemetery, Church Related Residence, Religious Structure
- Current Function: Religion
- Current Sub-function: Church Related Residence, Religious Structure
Photo Credit: Notorious4life – https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=16468721.